154 College Street
What do you need to graduate?
Before you start planning your postsecondary life, make sure you have what it takes to become an Ontario secondary school graduate.
Students must earn the following 18 compulsory credits to obtain the Ontario Secondary School Diploma
• 4 credits in English
• 3 credits in mathematics
• 2 credits in science
• 1 credit in Canadian history
• 1 credit in Canadian geography
• 1 credit in the arts
• 1 credit in health and physical education
• 1 credit in French as a second language
• 0.5 credit in career studies and 0.5 credit in civics
Plus one credit from each of the following groups:
• 1 additional credit (group 1): additional credit in English, or French as a second language,** or a Native language, or a classical or an international language, or social sciences and the humanities, or Canadian and world studies, or guidance and career education, or cooperative education***
• 1 additional credit (group 2): additional credit in health and physical education, or the arts, or business studies, or French as a second language,** or cooperative education***
• 1 additional credit (group 3): additional credit in science (Grade 11 or 12), or technological education, or French as a second language ** or computer studies, or cooperative education***
• A maximum of 3 credits in English as a second language (ESL) or English literacy development (ELD) may be counted towards the 4 compulsory credits in English, but the fourth must be a credit earned for a Grade 12 compulsory English course.
** In groups 1, 2, and 3, a maximum of 2 credits in French as a second language can count as compulsory credits, one from group 1 and one from either group 2 or group 3.
*** A maximum of 2 credits in cooperative education can count as compulsory credits.
In addition to the compulsory credits, students must complete:
• 12 optional credits
• 40 hours of community involvement activities
• the provincial literacy requirement
Please see your Guidance counsellor to help you plan your courses to meet your career
© 2017 Sudbury Secondary School
154 College Street, Sudbury ON P3C 4Y2 • PH: (705) 674-7551 FX:(705) 674-5383
All information on this website, including the school logo and photos, is the exclusive property of the school and cannot be reproduced in any way, including electronically, without the express written consent of the school.
For more information, please contact the school Principal.